Published: 9/14/2011, Updated: 1/2/2012
The pilotage fees consist of the pilotage readiness fee, pilotage service fee and pilot exemption certificate fee.
The pilot service is regulated by the Pilotage Act. The vessels and sailings that are subject to compulsory pilotage are listed in REG 1994-12-23 no. 1129: Regulations relating to the duty to use a pilot in Norwegian waters.
Vessels that voluntarily use a state pilot will be subject to the Pilotage Fee and the Pilotage Readiness Fee.
Vessels subject to compulsory pilotage are primarily:
- Vessels with a length of 70 metres or more or a width of 20 metres or more.
- Vessels with a length of 35/50 metres or more that carry hazardous or pollutive cargo as stated in the Compulsory Pilotage Regulations.
- Passenger ships with a length of 24 metres or more, but exempt from compulsory pilotage if they are licensed for scheduled passenger transport pursuant to Act no. 45 of 21 June 2002 relating to professional transport with a motor vehicle or vessel (Professional Transport Act) and service the route.
This list is not complete. In the Regulations relating to the duty to use a pilot in Norwegian waters there are several provisions relating to compulsory pilotage areas, vessels subject to compulsory pilotage and exemptions.
The duty to pay pilotage fees is authorised by REG 1994-12-23 no. 1128: Regulations relating to the pilotage readiness fee, pilotage service fee and pilot exemption certificate fee (pilotage fees).
Vessels subject to compulsory pilotage in waters subject to compulsory pilotage are required to pay the following fees:
- The Pilotage Readiness fee applies from when the vessel crosses the boundary for waters that are subject to fees on approach or departure.
- The Pilotage Service fee applies from when the state pilot is taken on board and includes all operation with a state pilot on board.
- The Pilot Exemption Certificate fee applies on the completion of a pilot exemption certificate examination, as well as when a pilot exemption certificate is issued, renewed or changed.
- A Trainee Pilot Exemption Certificate fee applies on the issuance of a trainee pilot exemption certificate.
Vessels subject to fees that primarily operate within the boundaries for waters that are subject to fees or between Norwegian ports shall pay the pilotage readiness fee in the form of an annual fee.
Vessels subject to compulsory pilotage that operate with a pilot exemption certificate or are exempt from the requirement to have a pilot on board shall pay pilotage readiness fees, while vessels that have a pilot on board shall also pay the pilotage service fees.